Fun golf since 1952
course construction begins
In the summer of 1951, course construction began on a wooded lot near the shores of Lake St. George. Mr Leeder, the orignal owner and builder, had a very difficult time building the course. It was a piece of land covered in waist high grass, dense forest and massive rocks. The venture cost Mr. Leeder all the money he could raise. He sold his Toronto home and car to finance the project. When asked about this, he simply said "This is all I've wanted."
The course opened in the fall of 1952. The original clubhouse was located close to where #9 north tee sits today. At this time, the course offered a full season mens membership for $20 and a ladies membership for $15. Green fees on the weekend were $1.50, and only $1.00 on weekdays!
A new clubhouse opened in the middle of the property. When the new clubhouse was finished, the north course routing was changed to its current layout.
north course renovations
In 1970 Robbie Robinson designed the south course, but two years earlier he made changes to the north course. He added the current 2nd and 5th hole. He also created the 6th by combining two holes, and lengthed the 9th hole to create a par 5.
Bob Barr, a local entrepreneur, purchased the existing course as well as a large bird farm adjacent to the property. Throughout the next few years many improvements, including irrigation, were made to the north course.
robbie robinson builds a new course
Mr. Barr hired Robbie Robinson to route and build nine more holes, now known as the south course.
south course opens
In the summer of 1972, the new course was opened, making Lake St. George one of the first 18 hole courses in the area.
After years of financial trouble and multiple owners, George Louth purchased the course in 1979. George had already had a very influential career in the golf industry. He played an important role in the rise of Twenty Valley Golf Club in Vineland, Ontario from the beginning. He built the course, and became the Head Pro, Manager and Superintendent. He continued to run the course before leaving to take the position of Head Pro and Superintendent at Sawmill Golf Club. Georges father, Les Louth, had also been a successful golf Pro for many decades at the Oakville Golf Club in Oakville, Ontario.
In the early 1980s, George, along with his son Greg, took on many course improvements. Irrigation and drainage were completed throughout all 18 holes, along with several new tees and greens. A clubhouse addition and renovation also took place.
west course construction begins
In the summer of 1999, Bob Moote designed the third course. The course took nearly three years to build.
west course opens
The west course officially opened in July of 2002. The west and south courses became the regular rotation for golfers playing 18 holes.