The south courses was designed by Robbie Robinson, a former protege of Stanley Thompson, on the site of a former farm. It was the second course built at Lake St. George and was used as the back nine until the west course opened in 2002. The south took nearly three years to build.
The course begins with two par fives that play into the predominate wind, which can be strong. These par fives offer early oppurtunites for birdies before the most difficult stretch of holes. Holes 3 through 6 are long and difficult, often being considered the toughest stretch of holes on the course. The finishing holes offer birdie chances to close out the round, especially the short par five finishing hole.
Wide fairways, massive greens and a large valley define the south course. Several of the greens are over 50 yards deep, which makes for tricky club selection and makes postition off the tee crucial. The large greens can also make play in the wind difficult. All of the par threes are long, including the huge 231 yard fifth.
The south course is used for those playing eighteen holes, along with the west course.
The west course was designed by Bob Moote. Construction started in 1999, and in July of 2002 the west opened.
The most challenging hole is the par five 1st, which plays to only 500 yards. The tee shot must be kept down the right side to avoid a creek that runs the entire length of the hole. The second hole is a tiny par three, measuring only 120 yards, but can be a nightmare if the green is missed on the wrong side of the hole. From there, the west opens up and offers some great scoring chances.
The west has medium sized greens that are very undulating and quick. Proper position depending on hole postion is very important, as downhill putts are very fast. The west is the tightest of all of the courses at LSG, but often there is more room off the tee than appears. There are over 30 bunkers, 5 ponds and 2 creeks on the west.
The west is used for those playing eighteen holes, along with the south.
The north course began construction in the winter of 1949 and opened in October of 1952. Much of the original layout is still intact, with only the order of holes changing. It was the second course to open in the Orillia area.
It is a very walker friendly course, with only subtle elevation changes and very little distance between holes. It has become a favourite of locals over the past 65 years to get out for a quick nine before or after work. The north has small greens with subtle breaks and generous landing areas.
The north is used for 9 hole rounds, and offers very affordable memberships.
Lake St. George started out as a 9-hole layout in 1952. It was originally built by a Pro named Ed Leeder, who had worked at the Toronto Golf Club under the direction of George Cumming, a legendary Canadian Pro. Through his time at Toronto, Mr. Leeder learned the proper way to operate and build a golf course.
Mr. Leeder had a very difficult time building the course. It was a piece of land covered in waist high grass, dense forest and massive rocks. The venture cost Mr. Leeder all the money he could raise. He sold his Toronto home and car to finance the project. When asked about this, he simply said "This is all I've wanted."
The 9 hole course opened in June of 1952. At this time, the course offered a full season mens membership for $20 and a ladies membership for $15. Green fees on the weekend were $1.50, and only $1.00 on weekdays!
The course was later bought by entrepreneur Bob Barr, who purchased a large farm adjacent to the course at the same time. Mr. Barr brought in Robbie Robinson to design the additional 9 holes, which is now known as the South course. During this time, additions were made to the clubhouse and small changes were made to the existing course.
The course was subsequently owned briefly by two local Pros. When financial problems ensued, George Louth took over. George had already had a very influential career in the golf industry. He played an important role in the rise of Twenty Valley Golf Club in Vineland, Ontario from the beginning. He built the course, and became the Head Pro, Manager and Superintendent. He continued to run the course before leaving to take the position of Head Pro and Superintendent at Sawmill Golf Club. Georges father, Les Louth, had also been a successful golf Pro for many decades at the Oakville Golf Club in Oakville, Ontario.
George purchased Lake St. George in 1979. The course was in rough shape - the new 9 holes were barely grassed in, and there was limited irrigation installed. In addition, the clubhouse was in need of finishing renovations.
George, along with his son Greg, worked hard to improve the facility. They rebuilt greens, tees and bunkers for the next several decades. Major improvements were made to the drainage system at this time as well.
In the late 90's, Bob Moote, along with George and Greg, designed and built the third course at Lake St. George. Construction began in Winter of 1999 and lasted three years. In July of 2002, the West officially opened. One existing hole was used to complete the New course. Modern day #6 West used to be a part of the back nine. Modern day #4 South is a new hole that was constructed when the West was built.
Today, Greg Louth has taken over the golf course and is the Owner and Director of Golf. His son, Dustin Louth, is now the General Manager.
Lake St. George continues to improve each year. Come experience what other golfers have for over 60 years - the best golfing value in the Muskoka and Orillia region.